As I strive harder to bolster my fat intake (I'm nothing if not assiduous in that department), I brought home cupcakes from this little pastry shop in Andover yesterday. Is it just my kid, or do all children turn into Cheech when cake appears? At some point while stuffing his face with icing, Henry usually says in stoned pleasure, "I love you guys."
Yesterday, he went the other way: "This cupcake is better than family." Indeed it was a really good cupcake.
You know what else is better than family? Bruce Springsteen. (Not really, but I needed a segue.)
It's not unknown that I have a slight infatuation with this particular rock star. Springsteen has carried me many running miles and the cadence of songs like Glory Days, Badlands, and Cadillac Ranch have helped me PR on several occasions.
So, I am launching a new virtual running (or biking, walking, whatever) club:
The Charlotte County Road Gang
No membership fees, no group runs, no real organization whatsoever. I know, I know, I'm a born leader.
The only requirements for membership is that you respond in a comment to the following questions:
1. Your favorite Springsteen song for working out.
Me: Cadillac Ranch
2. The pace you can achieve during that song compared to any other song. If you're not an iPod user, just run for the length of the song and figure it out that way.
Me: 7:35 vs. 8:35
3. The Freudian origins of your appreciation for Springsteen
Me: My father's name is Bruce.
4. Your favorite Springsteen line.
Me: "The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive/Everybody's out on the run tonight/but there's no place left to hide"
5. How much you'd be willing to pay (or have paid) to see him in concert.
Me: I've considered egg donation to pay for tickets.
Please don't make me look like a fool by failing to comment. I don't want to be the only member of my little running club.